Thursday, June 19, 2008

Last seed order of the season

My order list from www.swallowtailgardenseeds.com

PARSLEY, ITALIAN DARK GREEN
PARSLEY, FOREST GREEN
ANISE
CATNIP
STEVIA
BLACK-EYED SUSAN, BRIGHT EYES
STRAWBERRY, YELLOW WONDER ALPINE
STRAWBERRY, ALPINE-ALEXANDRIA
ARTICHOKE, IMPERIAL STAR

I am particularly excited about some of the plants I have never grown before: the Stevia (a natural sweetener used by the indigenous people of South America for hundreds of years), the white black eyed susan (a striking annual vine), and the hybrid artichoke. All of my research indicates it is difficult to grow artichokes in central Florida, but not impossible, thus worthy of giving it a try, particularly after I see how prohibitive the grocery prices are. This particular variety is supposed to yield fruit (flower) about 95 days after planting. Will post updates on how this experiment goes.

No comments: