Sunday, June 1, 2008

Moringa Tree aka Horseradish Tree, Top Tropicals (aka MGOnline) Nursery

Our hopefully temporarily pitiful Moringa tree seedling.

We got this one from http://www.mgonline.com/, they operate under a variety of names (be sure to check http://www.davesgarden.com/ for 'the scoop on Top Tropicals' to learn more). Unfortunately, I was so happy to finally find the tree I had been looking for that I forked $35, yes, dumb, I know, and to make things worse: I checked the nursery's references right after I submitted payment online. The seedling was, to put it mildly, poorly boxed & protected. It came in a rather large box wrapped once in newspaper. This meant that the poor seedling had been literally bouncing around inside that box for four full days! Luckily I was home when it was delivered so the box did not have to sit out in the heat adding further stress to the plant.
The tree has declined in a big way since I got it on Friday. I wrote to the nursery contact I have on Saturday...hopefully I will get an answer by Monday.
In all fairness, in spite of being poorly boxed, the seedling's size was true to what was pictured in their site (very small) and the first time I emailed them with a few questions they answered promptly within 24 hours...fingers crossed that they will stand by their product. Will post update as things move along.

***Update*** So Karl, from http://www.mgonline.com/ took the time to reply to me on a Sunday & said that if the plant does not recover in 10-14 days he can exchange it for me. Well, that was nice...let's see the outcome of this Moringa Drama!

***Update*** Karl continued to reply to my emails within 24 hours. While I don't agree with the way he talks about some of his customers (referred to others as "plant killers") or with his communication skills in general, I have to say that he was prompt and open to an exchange if needed. The Moringa seedling lost all of its branches but it seems to be bouncing back, so for now, I am keeping it and continuing to nurse it like a mad woman. My suggestion is that whenever you order online ASK for the supplier to include some damp newspaper on the plant's pot...because not many companies do, but I've noticed that plants packaged like this arrive in better shape as their stress is reduced a bit.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: