Friday, May 9, 2008

Bolivian Sunflower

I lived in Bolivia and I have never, ever, seen this flower...I'll have to research if it really grows there...anyhow, this shrub is now blooming twice a year (spring and fall) and I love it!

I love it in spite of its massive size (definitely not recommended for small gardens) and the work it requires to keep it neat looking...the center of the shrub always looks as if someone played a practical joke on us and hung hundreds of dirty gym socks on it. Oh, and one last thing: this is a pretty thirsty shrub during the hotter months...for me it is okay because this is my only thirsty plant, but consider this fact before planting.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sunflower production does occur in Bolivia though its area is declining due to soybean production. I have seen dozens of fields on several trips. The place to see sunflower is east of the Rio Grande along the Santa Cruz - Puerto Suarez highway during July, August and September. Sunflower is an austral winter crop and is rotated with soy. Mennonites seem to be the only producers. Hope this helps.

Danny Redo, geographer who conducts research in Santa Cruz.

HelloPame said...

Wow! Great info Danny, thanks so much! I lived in Oruro, La Paz and I visited Las Yungas for two weeks (maybe a bit affraid of the ride back on the Death Road :-)...I have never been in Santa Cruz, and it surely does make sense that a tropical looking shrub such as this would not grow in La Paz or Oruro! Thanks for stopping by my blog & for taking the time to comment on this!