Saturday, July 26, 2008

Eat Your Greens!

And I mean all of them!

I messed up my carrot planting (see illustration two pics below)...but that does not mean that we won't eat the darn things greens and all! (my normal carrots of the same kind were sweet and lovely tasting).

I use the fresh carrot greens like I would any other herb or veggie: sometimes as a side dish, sometimes in a tortilla with mushrooms, garlic & onions...you get the idea. Oh yeah, when I say tortilla, I am referring to the dish from Spain, not Mexico. The Spanish tortilla is made with eggs and anything you want to add to it. It is good!

If you'd like recipes to experiment I found this great site from the UK & below is a list that shows us how much of what we normally throw away is actually not only edible but delicious!


Edible Leaves:
Snap & Lima beans, beets, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, kohlrabi, okra, English peas, potatoes, sweet potatoes & radish. Eggplant leaves are edible as well but lack flavor.

Edible young leaves:
Southern Peas, onion, cucumber, & squash.

Here is one that really surprised me: parsley roots & cucumber stem tips...will have to experiment with those.

No comments: