Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I can see why

After weeding under the unforgiving Florida heat I came to understand why some brainiac invented RoundUp. I am not saying I'd use it...but I gotta admit, I felt tempted...

Three hours hand-weeding and I barely made a dent into it. I found weeds I had never seen before...and also some pleasant surprises like a few skullcap, cassia, porterweed, pentas, and milkweed seedlings, which I am going to transplant and group in the back garden soon.

Back to the weeds, they formed such a tightly-woven carpet that my fingers were in pain from gripping them...the crabgrass was absolutely out of control and at one point while pulling their long strands I thought the house was going to unravel like an old sweater.

These weeds must be good for something, I refuse to believe that they are there just to annoy gardeners! Anyhow, I harvested five more melons, some tomatoes, more peppers & more yardlong beans. So, all in all, not a bad day out there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I've been tackling this same stuff! I broke down and bought some weed killer. And I even applied a little of it. And immediately afterward, it rained and washed it all off. Do you think that's a sign? lol

HelloPame said...

It's a sign! It's a sign! Your butterflies and assorted garden critters are thankful it is all washing away! ☺