Sunday, October 26, 2008

Asclepia Tuberosa


Aka Butterfly Weed & Milkweed.
This is what I love about photos, they help me see things in a completely different way...for example, I had never really noticed all the nuances of the yellow part or how the red part eventually pulls all the way back. I am usually more concerned about killing those pesky bugs they get...but guess what, I read in one of my books that some organic farmers actually add this plant to their gardens/farms as the pests (most notably aphids) seem to go them-instead of the produce.
Pros: drought tolerant once established, host plant to monarch and a couple more butterflies that I am too lazy to look up right now. Nectar plant to beneficial insects. Self seeds.
Cons: Self seeds, so if you are someone who likes everything just so, be sure to remove the seed pods before they start flying all over the place.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: