Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Does anybody know?


Several years ago I got this plant as a tiny miny thing. It came with no info.

For about three years it only had green foliage, until last Christmas time when after I planted it in the back garden it came up with these cool berries. This year is doing the same...although most of them are gone and I suspect now decorate the top of the squirrels' milk shakes. If you know the name of this plant would you email me or post a comment here? Thanks!

***UPDATE***

And the winner is...GreanJeans from CentralFloridaGardening.blogspot.com.

Thank you so much GJ for identifying what turns out I will have to yank off the ground due to its pest/invasive status in Florida it shall be labeled in the blog under the dreaded Psycho Plants tab.

Plant's name is Ardisia Crenata. AKA coralberry, coral ardisia, spiceberry, Christmas berry

Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Unknown said...

It maybe a type of Nandina.

HelloPame said...

The berries make it look as though it could be a nandina...but the leaves (they are almost rubbery and not bamboo-like the way nandinas usually are) and its growth habit tell me otherwise...

Hard to see those things in the pic though...thanks for writing.

Sheoyote said...

My first impression was yaupon but yaupon berries don't have stems. You might try asking a florist because I've seen them in dish gardens before.

HelloPame said...

Hi Sheoyote,
Thanks for stopping by and for your suggestion. That's a good idea and will keep it in mind for when I am near a florist.
Thanks!

GreenJeans said...

Could it be this?

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53496/

Here's another site, same plant:

http://www.floridata.com/ref/A/ardis_c.cfm

GreenJeans said...

Yay!!! I won, I won!!! :-)

Sorry it's one that has to be yanked out. But better to find out now rather than have your yard full of them, right?

HelloPame said...

Uh, NO.

I much rather live in oblivion. :P