Saturday, December 6, 2008

Monarch Watch, BLOGGER BUTT & The Ethics of What We Eat

I've been on butterfly watch most of the morning...now I have to go running & I bet anything that the &^%^%#$ thing is going to come out when I am miles away from it!

I am signing up for a couple of triathlons & running events early next year so there might be a bit less frequent posting for a while...oh well, I think I was getting BB (Blogger Butt) so it is time for me to dust off the ol' bike & that horrendous swimming cap & just go for it...I predict lots of pain and moodiness since my last triathlon in Panama City was in November 1999!!!

Oh, one more thing, I just finished reading Peter Singer's The Ethics of What We Eat...man oh man...great read.

I found his writing style slightly less engaging than, say, Michael Pollan's, but Singer's approach is broader in showing how the choices we make in the kitchen affect ...well...the world really. I also appreciated the fact that Singer shamelessly plays devils' advocate every chance he gets, even if it goes against everything he believes to be true. One last thing about his view point is that he sees no true absolutes (for the most part) but understands that things are situational in nature & what is best for us might not be a feasible alternative from someone living in the Scottish Highlands, for example.

I am planning on posting the things that caught my eye & brain the most sometime this week.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Mary said...

Very nice pic, GF. :)
I'm going to check out the book. Our library only has one copy of it, and it's a 2006 edition, strange.

HelloPame said...

Word of caution Mary, the book starts a bit dry but it does get better as you read along. Tons of facts that do nothing but validate our taking care of the soil.