Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Chilean Guava


These beauties arrived with their hair a bit messy but here they are, straight from the UPS box. One already has small buds on it!

It was hard to find a nursery that sold this one, but after much searching I ordered from Rolling River Nursery and I would order from them again in a heartbeat. I got it for the flavor, but with the spread of citrus greening into home gardens this will also serve as a companion planting to our citrus. Guava seems to repel psyllids naturally. Psyllids is the insect responsible for the greening attacking citrus in Florida. In places like Vietnam they plant white guava (among other fruiting specimens) as it releases the volatile chemicals necessary to fight off citrus disease...I have to do research to see if other guavas would have the same effect (I read that white guava is not as palatable as other kinds).
Posted by Picasa

No comments: