Thursday, May 14, 2009

From where I sit...


Here is the view from where hubby and I built a small patio from recycled concrete chunks. I love to sit here early morning, after a run or to catch a bit of the sunset. I am one darn lucky woman.

The 4x4 pole is the foundation of our future gazebo-like structure. I say gazebo-like because I am not too fond of the standard gazebos I see around...grapevines, kiwi vines, chayote, scarlet runner bean & white black eyed suzan vine should cover the structure in less than a year from now (It is an over sized structure). But for now, my view is of nicotianas, carnations, dahlias, lemon balm and other flowers for the hummingbirds...oh yeah, that tall, almost tree-like thingy on the right is an, appropriately named, columnar basil.

After years of success and failures growing basil, I found that the Thai variety (the one with the gorgeous purple flowers) and this one are the best to grow in Central Florida year-round. Easy to maintain, have zero issues with our poor soil, and the taste is fabulous! The only difference between the two is that, for what I've read, columnar basil can only be propagated via cuttings as it rarely blooms. I've had this one in a pot for over a year now and planted it in the ground about two months ago and is happy as can be. No pests or issues of any kind. Go get ya one! (I found mine at Whole Foods Market)...if you would like cuttings provided you are in the US (I just learned it is not legal to mail plant material to other countries without proper permit) I can mail you some when it gets cooler.

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Unknown said...

What a beautiful view indeed.

HelloPame said...

Thanks missy!

Rusty in Miami said...

You have a excellent blog, thanks for the nice comment on my
I have problems with basil too, the sweet basil is a problem every year, this year I tried Italian basil and is doing much better

HelloPame said...

Hi RIM...thanks! I wish I could give the blog a bit more time...but you know how it is...

Sweet basil works best for me when I keep it in a spot with about 4 hours of morning sun only...but in the end it is too much work and frustration anyway so I think I'll just stick with the two that do well in my garden. They both taste real nice so it is not a sacrifice...plus the Thai basil is beautiful when it is in bloom (particularly if you have a bunch of them planted together)...

Remind me in the fall when it gets cooler and I can mail you cuttings of the columnar basil if you want.

Take care