Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Hibiscus Althea Alba



Currently loaded with blooms...

UPDATE: I just came back from a very quick (and I mean quick as I was under a canopy of lightning) bug search and rescue mission. Perhaps, search and kill mission, describes it best.

I found a trend in the garden: large, multiple, white flowers attract beetles by the ton. I don't want to get rid of the Iceberg rose bush, but I might just get rid of the hibiscus in the photo. I want no part on inviting pests into the garden by planting a buffet of non-vital plants.

I am still on the fence as to whether we have Japanese beetles or Chinese rose beetles. I lean toward the latter since our beetles don't have the iridescence so typical of the Japanese beetle. Either way I am definitely doing something about it. The white fluffy Dahlias that I love so much and the white multiple hibiscus will be history this week end.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Beautiful!! Can't wait for my white ones to open. They are loaded with buds too.